Date/Time: Friday, April 12-Monday, April 15, 2019*, in Denver, CO. Class will be held from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM MT Friday through Sunday and 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM MT on Monday. *Please note these dates have been changed since the SAVE THE DATE was released. This date no longer conflicts with Passover and Easter Weekend.
Location: Denver Medical Society, 1850 Williams Street, Denver, Colorado, 80218
Target Audience: The course is targeted for physicians, PAs, NPs, nurses, medical assistants, and other medical personnel. Other types of health care professionals are welcome to attend; however, it is important to note that only a limited amount of time is spent on terminology for other disciplines such as oral health or behavioral health.
Event Overview: CHAMPS, in conjunction with Denver Medical Society, offers an annual medical Spanish language training for clinicians and clinical support staff at Region VIII health centers each spring. This four-day course is an intensive, conversational and medical Spanish workshop consisting of medical dialogues, role-plays, visual aids, cross-cultural discussions, and daily practice. The course curriculum provides an experience of immersion learning, an approach that is highly suitable for those with limited time, and who must use their new language skills immediately with their Spanish-speaking patients. Please note, Ríos Associates has final determination over level based on the self-assessment. To download an event flyer and hotel information, click here.
Course Objectives: Participants who complete the course will:
- Acquire/strengthen their ability to interview patients in Spanish, take a medical history, conduct a physical exam, give prescriptions and instructions, and intervene in medical emergencies.
- Be exposed to a Spanish vocabulary of at least 1,500 general and medical words.
- Develop a good flow of speech in present, future, and past tenses, and command forms.
- Develop an awareness of differences in attitudes between Latinos and other Americans concerning time, space, clothing, foods, health, and medical care.
- Develop skills to continue language acquisition through daily practice and experience.
- Intermediate students will be able to do all of the above, in addition to using more idioms as well as complex tenses and moods (conditional, present and past progressive, present and past perfect tenses, plus subjunctive mood and its tenses).
CME: Continuing medical education (CME) is available as follows:
- 45 prescribed hours by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- 43 hours of Category 1 CME from the American College of Emergency Physicians
- 45 contact hours of continuing education by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 43 hours of Category 1 CME from the American Medical Association.
Course Fees: The course fee is $649 for CHAMPS and/or DMS Members and $799 for Non-Members. Please click here to see a listing of CHAMPS Organizational Members.
- The registration fee includes four days of Spanish language instruction, course book, CME, and snacks.
- Full payment of the registration fee is due in advance. Refunds will not be provided, however, if necessary, another individual may substitute for a registrant.
- Payment should be made in the form of a check made payable to Ríos Associates along with the registration and self-assessment forms.
Registration: Registration for the 2019 Spanish Language for Health Care Professionals is now open for all levels. Registration is complete when CHAMPS has received payment, completed registration form, and completed self-assessment form. The registration deadline is March 25, 2019, or when registration is full. Register early, this class fills up quickly.
Click here to download the registration forms. If you have any questions, please contact the Programs Coordinator, Population Health.
Make check payable to Ríos Associates and mail check, completed registration form and self-assessment form to Helen Rhea Vernier, CHAMPS, 600 Grant Street, Suite 800, Denver, CO 80203. You may fax the registration form in advance to 303-861-5315 with “Attention Helen Rhea Vernier” or email Helen@CHAMPSonline.org.